Blog

Spring Safety Tips For Pets

Ahhhhh! There’s nothing like the advent of Spring to shake off the wintertime blues. Especially here in the Pacific Northwest where winter can shroud us in a veil of rain and clouds for what seems like an eternity. But with its intoxicating fragrance and verdant glow, Spring can also pose some pretty significant dangers to our pets.
The following is a list of some of the potential perils that can pose a threat to our pets and how to avoid them.


Holiday Hazards:
Did you know that Easter sees more trips to the ER from chocolate toxicity than Halloween and Christmas put together? The reason being all of those backyard Easter egg hunts, with candy hidden in lawns just waiting for dogs to find what the children have missed. And unguarded Easter baskets are almost as irresistible to our pets as they are to our kids. Whether it be from the delicious candy or the colorful floss, which can lead to an obstruction if ingested, be sure to keep Easter baskets out of sight and reach of pets.
Easter Lilies are especially dangerous to cats. Every part of the plant, from petal to pollen can cause kidney failure in a kitty if ingested, so it is best not to even bring one into the home if you have a cat. And if it’s the fragrance you miss, a lily candle will do just fine in its place.
Both Easter and Passover feasts are loaded with fatty foods that can cause pancreatitis if fed to our pets. It may be hard to say no to those entreating stares at the dinner table, but it is best to avoid feeding fatty foods, even on special occasions.

Yardwork:
After being cooped up for a season, Springtime is the perfect excuse to get out and work in the yard. Ideally, we would love to see a day when pesticides are never used on any lawn, but until that day, be sure that if you do so, you keep your pets and children indoors until the recommended time, stated on the product, has safely passed.
Public parks are notorious for using fertilizers and pesticides to keep their green, weed-free appearance, so always clean your pets’ paws and coat after being exposed to treated areas before they have a chance to groom or lick their paws.
Mulch, though mostly safe, can cause a hazard if ingested. Especially if using cocoa mulch or if it contains mold.
There are also many Spring blooming plants that are poisonous to pets, including daffodils and hyacinths, especially if the bulbs are ingested. We highly recommend that you do your homework before choosing plants and dressing for your garden beds.
If your pet does ingest a plant you may think is poisonous, please contact the Pet Poison Helpline at 855-764-7661

Try switching to pet safe cleaning products

Spring Cleaning:
Many of the chemical cleaners we use are toxic to both children and pets. Ammonia and bleach are skin and eye irritants and inhalation hazards. Some deodorizers are as well. When cleaning with these products, make sure your pet is out of the room and that the area has fully dried before you allow any of your pets to use them. Keep colorful chemical packets away from pets as well and seek medical attention if you think your pet has ingested or had contact with any hazardous chemical. Or—perhaps the time has come to switch to environmentally friendly cleaning products!

We hope this information aids in making safe and healthy choices for both you and your pet(s).
Oh- and Happy Spring!

                                                                                

Posted April 18, 2019 by Animal Surgical in ASOC News with No Comments and tagged as , ,

Return to Blog

0 Comments